Select the right type of insulation. There are three types of insulation for a winter coat: down, synthetic, and pile fabric. Choose an insulation that will keep you warm in the winter months.
- Down is great insulator, and is perfect for providing warmth in the winter. The main downside is that it does not hold up as well against moisture. If you live in an environment prone to a lot of precipitation, down may not be the best choice.
- Synthetic fibers tend to hold up better against moisture.
- Pile fabric is similar to sheep's wool. It is water resistant and lasts long.
Choose your material. Coats come in a variety of materials and you want to choose one that's appealing to your sense of style.
- Leather coats are both stylish and durable. If you like the look of leather, a leather coat can be a great option for you. If you like the look of leather and want something more casual, you can try suede.
- Wool coats are also durable and come in a variety of stylish cuts. You can also choose wool in a variety of colors, so wool can be great if you're looking for a specific color.
- A cotton coat is similar to wool, but may hold up better in the rain. However, it may not be as warm as wool.
- A faux fur coat can be great for a vintage style.
The Portland Plaid Co. Men's Black Classic Parka, Style AW171005, L
- 100% Cotton
- Machine Wash Cold
- Heavy-duty parka coat made with soft cotton shell featuring warm poly-fill, four snap-button pockets, and storm-flap for extra coverage
- Ribbed cuffs, drawstring hood
Hart Schaffner Marx Men's Black, Mulberry Quilted Barn Coat, M
- 100% Polyester
- Dry Clean Only
- High density outer fabric is water resistant
- Zip and snap front closes to the neck for added warmth
- Diamond quilted exterior provides added warmth without weight
- Lower flap pockets are also side entry and there are 4 interior pockets for secure storage
- Sleeve cuffs are adjustable and the interior is trimmed with the Hart Schaffner Marx signature stripe and dobby print